2008/10/07

Double Ninth Festival 重阳节

Today is the traditional Chinese “Double Ninth Festival”, which has been celebrated since A.D 25. Nine is the Yang number according to the Chinese Yin-Yang philosophy; the ninth day of the ninth lunar month (or double nine) is certainly a special day in the year. It is customary to climb a high mountain, drink chrysanthemum wine, and wear the Zhuyu plant as celebration. (Both chrysanthemum and Zhuyu are very good Chinese medicine!) Today the holiday is a time for family reunion and also an opportunity to care for and appreciate the elderly.


This is an often-quoted poem about the holiday:


()(zài)()(xiāng)(wèi)()()

(měi)(féng)(jiā)(jié)(bèi)()(qīn)


In English means :


As a lonely traveler in a foreign land,

Every holiday the homesickness amplifies.


Seems quite suitable for me, ha. But I don’t really feel homesick these days. Maybe I am too concerned with my future and dreams. There seems no need or time to look back or to feel homesick. There is a magic force driving me.What I'm doing is only not to make myself regret.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello!
I find that you get the new blog.
I thnk it can help me to improve my English!
Have a nice day!
And will you still use your blog in baidu?